Wednesday, September 9, 2015

One Day Too late

Time has literally flown for me this summer...It's crazy!  A lot has happened this summer and I felt convicted to write this...hope you enjoy!
She sits in her bed sobbing and pouring her heart out to the wall.  "I'm not ready yet!" she cries. "I need more time.  There's so much I need to say and I don't know if he'll make it tomorrow!"  She continues to sob until she finally falls asleep, but even in her dreams she can't escape her pain.  She jolts awake, tears streaming down her face.  She stares at the clock. 2:01 a.m...she combs here fingers through her hair and sighs.  She picks up her phone and texts her friend. "Hey...you up?"  She waits...and waits...3 o'clock passes by and she is still waiting.  The lonely feeling starts to suffocate her.  She feels small...she feels alone...She finally climbs out of bed and sits down at her desk and begins writing a letter.  "Dear Grandpa,  There is so much I need to tell you..."  That morning she goes to the hospital for her volunteer hours and meets her grandparents at a restaurant.  She hands her grandpa the letter. "Don't you dare open it until Wednesday right before your procedure!" she says with a smirk.  She hugs him and waves goodbye.  Tears streamed down her face as she tried to smile and keep her composure.  She told her parents she had written her grandpa a letter and they asked her why.  she answered, "Because tomorrow could be one day too late."
Sometimes it takes a shock like a terminal illness, a car accident, or a sudden death to make us realize our mortality.  Why is this?  Why do we live like we have a lifetime ahead when we may not wake up tomorrow?  Why do we not say the hard, meaningful, or complicated things while we still have time?  Why do we hold it all in?  We can't sit here expecting tomorrow to come.  No one is guaranteed tomorrow.  Ever since I was little, my dad has told me everyday that today could be my last day.  I didn't believe it...I mean I'm 16.  I have my whole life ahead of me.  It took a great shock to wake me up; to make me realize that I'm living on borrowed time.  Don't wait and expect tomorrow will come.  Say what you want to say now!  You may not be here tomorrow.  Your loved ones may not be here tomorrow.  If your father or mother or sibling died today...what would you regret?  If you died today, what would you regret?  Don't wait!  PLEASE don't wait because tomorrow could be one day too late!

3 comments:

Please keep everything appropriate and clean. Thanks!